Re: [patch] first pass at gnome-keyring support, baby.

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Robert Love wrote:

> Attached patch adds support for gnome-keyring to nm-applet and stores
> the essid key encrypted in the keyring instead of cleartext in gconf.
>
> It is a first pass, but it seems to work well [1].
>
> One issue is it causes the gnome-keyring "decrypt your keyring" dialog
> to pop up as soon as the applet loads (presuming that your keyring is
> not already decrypted, of course).  It seems as if the information
> (including the keys) is read for each wireless network on startup?
> Maybe we could change that, or defer reading the key until it is
> absolutely needed.  Or only read the key if the auth_method specifies
> such.

Quite right.  At this time NM queries nm-applet for all networks when it gets
the NameOwnerChanged.  What you propose sounds reasonable.  We don't really
_need_ the key until we try to connect to the access point.

> Thoughts?  Comments?
>
> 	Robert Love
>
> [1] Actually, it seems to work perfect.  But I am having a lot of
> problems with NetworkManager and encrypted essids (or maybe just
> switching between lots of essids in general) and my airo wireless card.
> Sometimes the daemon just starts sitting there.  Sometimes it stops
> scanning.  In either case, it won't exit.  Quick debugging shows it is
> spinning on a mutex.  Although I've also seen evidence it is waiting for
> something from the card.  It is confusing to the point of tears.  I'll
> debug it later.  I should add that, ahem, Netapplet works fine with my
> card.  ;-)

Ok, can I get some backtraces here for all threads?  Also, is the airo card
borked?  ie, lots of messages in /var/log/messages about "command timed out".
There are a number of historical problems with airo cards, including but not
limited to:

1) Card screws up and gets hung, driver can't talk to card because commands time
out, can't unload airo.ko because no data can be sent (card's hung) and
therefore the module refcount isn't decreased
2) Doesn't work with firmwares > 5.20.17 and WEP
3) Card doesn't return non-broadcasting ESSIDs from scans