Re: NetworkManager, Wireless and Fedora FC4

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 10:20 -0400, Ray Hooker wrote:
> I also see it referenced in Clemson's HOWTO:
>
> http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/nm.shtml

Unfortunately, what's there is for the HEAD branch, which includes VPN
support, but is not in FC4.  FC4 includes a slightly older branch from
April, with a lot of backports but no VPN or external DHCP client.

> So I started the two services (NetworkManager and NetworkManager
> Dispatcher).  I still see no applet on the task bar nor is it listed
> in the possible applets.  NetworkManager-Gnome as well as
> NetworkManager appears to already be installed.  I even did a YUM
> update (yum install NetworkManager NetworkManager-gnome) just to make
> sure I had the latest and rebooted.  Still no taskbar icon.  The
> Clemson help page mentions
> nm-applet, but I can't seem to find the file, nor am I able to find
> "Startup Programs tab in the gnome-session-properties  application" in
> the FC4 GNOME menus.

The program you are looking for, /usr/bin/NetworkManagerInfo, needs to
be executed when your gnome session starts up.  Run
gnome-session-properties and add the program to your "Startup Programs"
tab, or if you have automatic session-saving turned on, just
run /usr/bin/NetworkManagerInfo from a terminal and it will add itself
to your session automatically.

HEAD uses /usr/libexec/nm-applet, but not FC4.  I know, the docs could
use some work (any takers?)