Re: HEAD on ubuntu breezy?

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Joe Barnett wrote:
> Has anyone gotten head NM to work on ubuntu breezy?  the dhcp client
> package claims it has the "redhat patches for dhcdbd", but if i set up
> dhcdbd (from http://people.ubuntu.com/~thom/dhcdbd-1.5.tar.gz), it
> seems to be passing an argument that dhclient doesn't understand.
> looking at it a little bit more, it seems the "-x" option is not
> recognized by dhclient, but removing the -x from the arguments list
> (by editing dhcdbd.c) doesn't result in a dhcp lease when dhcdbd
> invokes dhclient, either...

There is a bit of architectural stuff in dhclient and dhclient-script that work
with dhcdbd.  First, there's a patch to dhclient to accept the -x argument and
pass _all_ dhcp options to dhclient-script.  Second, there are changes to
dhclient-script to send those options to dhcdbd with dbus-send.  These changes
are in Fedora Core dhclient RPMS as of 3.0.2-12 and later.  You'll have to pick
up the patch from there.  I can keep pushing Jason Vas Dias to get the patches
upstream, but for the moment they are local.

However, I think most everyone will agree that using dhclient is better than
using the old internal DHCP client.  Furthermore, if people would like to use
Simon Kelley's DHCP client we can make NetworkManager work with that too.  Its
lighterweight and should do the same thing.

> Also, what is the "preferred" way for having nm-applet run?  It gets
> put in libexec, so I assume the user isn't supposed to run it
> directly, but I'm not sure what the user IS supposed to run ...

Technically, you add it to you gnome session, or use gnome-session-properties'
"Startup Programs" tab to make it start every time if you're not using session
saving.  You should only have to run it once (to add it to the session if you
_are_ using session saving) or add it to "Startup Programs" in
gnome-session-properties once, and then you shouldn't have to touch it again.

Unfortunately, there isn't a good automatic way to add stuff to the GNOME
session at this time.