Re: [rfc] modems, isdn, and other relics of the stone age.

Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 17:08 -0400, Robert Love wrote:

So.  I want to investigate tackling modems and such.  Let's say anything
that dials or anything that uses PPP.

What you call "stone age" is still the preferred way to connect to GPRS,
3G, and Bluetooth PAN networks.
So I'm interested in getting this working, hopefully without relying on
the distros to provide the configuration tools.
Knowing how many bugs in phones implementing GPRS/3G and different ppp' providers, i think it won't be an easy job to get it "just work".
Not counting how to link the phone: serial, usb, IR, bluetooth

this site (even if the design seems broken these days): http://www.easyconnect.linuxuser.hu/modules/index/ contains a software that manage a lot of different phones and providers for gprs. Maybe fetching some idea and specs (connection scripts) from it would be a good start

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>