Re: [rfc] modems, isdn, and other relics of the stone age.

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 17:54 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> I'd like to get davidz's comments on the proposed API here too...  But
> first, what kind of "void *data" are we talking about?  In the end, we
> probably just need to have NetworkManager know the title of the config,
> and how to tell the underlying scripts to execute the config.  I was
> envisioning something fairly mundane, comparable to what netapplet did
> here with system scripts.

I was envisioning the same thing.

About the data field: Maybe it isn't needed.  But I pictured a more
general API than what Netapplet had, in case some distributions wanted
to do something more complicated.  I presumed that perhaps the
enumeration stage would generate some additional information, and it
could be stored in data.  If none of the backends need it, we don't need
it either.

> > It is not dynamic, but unless we want to make NM into a dialer and ISDN
> > subsystem and all that, we don't necessarily need it to be.
>
> I think we've at least written off PPP and ISDN as being completely
> manual, since they require a load of configuration information already.
> We also cannot detect when we have carriers on these at all points.

Nod.

	Robert Love