Re: OpenVPN support

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Pierre Ossman wrote:

> Is anyone working on adding OpenVPN support to NetworkManager? Otherwise
> I thought I'd take a stab at it.

David Zeuthen has talked about this before, but hasn't started it yet.  Another
candidate would be OpenSWAN, I think.

Feel free to go right ahead and see what you can do.  What we really want to
know is whether or not we need to change the VPN API to adapt to other clients,
and whether or not we need to change how NetworkManager sets up the IP/tunnel
stuff.  If OpenVPN doesn't use the 'tun' kernel module, we probably will.  But
if we don't know about it, we can't.  So in short, if you run into assumptions
that NetworkManager makes about a particular VPN client, we can and will fix
that.