Atheros abg / madwifi trouble

NetworkManager does not work well with my mini Atheros abg card. it can
associate ok, but then roughly every minute it looses the connection and
the card is scanning/cycling through all channels for about 10 secs or
so. during that time iwconfig gives "FF:...:FF" as the AP. it cycles
through the channels 3 times, and the associates with the original AP
again.

i'm using:
* Fedora Core 3, kernel 2.6.10-1.753, up2date,
* CVS NetworkManager from 20050130,
* madwifi driver snapshot from 20050125,
* wireless tools 28pre4

card details:
02:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212
802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Atheros Communications, Inc. Netgate 5354MP ARIES a
(108Mb turbo)/b/g MiniPCI Adapter
        Memory at 20010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]

any help with this issue is greatly appreciated. unless this problem is
fixed NetworkManager is pretty useless for me.

thanks,

Sven