Re: static ip (newb)

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 12:51 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> I'm wondering about static IP.  I use openvpn, and need a static IP because
> my wireless router has to be configd to forward the openvpn port to the
> correct IP for my laptop.
>
> I read that networkmanager doesn't support static IP?  I think the
> architecture I just described requires it.  I don't think my linksys allows
> it's dhcp server to be configured to fix the IP from the MAC address.  I
> think the architecture I just described can't be very unusual.  Any ideas?

Hi,

Technically, yes, NM supports Static IP.  This is highly distribution
dependent though, since each distro has its own config file format for
this stuff.  On Fedora Core, for example, this information is kept
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<your interface>.  For Fedora,
Static IP should work, with the exception of /etc/resolv.conf.  We
currently don't touch /etc/resolv.conf at all in Static IP
configurations, which means you won't have automatic DNS when using NM
like this :(  It's not been a top priority for me, but I should probably
fix that up.

I think system-config-network on Fedora keeps the /etc/resolv.conf
around somewhere for each interface or something like that, I don't
actually know.  If I did, I could fix it up fairly easily I suspect.