static ip (newb)

I'm wondering about static IP.  I use openvpn, and need a static IP because
my wireless router has to be configd to forward the openvpn port to the
correct IP for my laptop.

I read that networkmanager doesn't support static IP?  I think the
architecture I just described requires it.  I don't think my linksys allows
it's dhcp server to be configured to fix the IP from the MAC address.  I
think the architecture I just described can't be very unusual.  Any ideas?