Re: possibly found a BUG in NM 3.3.1 cvs 20050112.3

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 14:01 +0200, Paul Ionescu wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> I have a notebook with 2 wired lan cards, one onboard and one PCMCIA.
> Both cards have static IP addresses and static default gateways.
> NM is active by default.
> If I start the computer with both cards, it behaves as expected, choosing
> one card as preferred and using it.
> If I start with only the onboard card, then NM detects it and properly
> configure the net, and everything is working until I plug the second card
> (PCMCIA).
> When I plug this PCMCIA card, I loose the default gateway already set up
> for the onboard connection. So the primary link is still on onboard card
> but I have no more default gw.
> If this PCMCIA card is not configured with statics (IP/GW/a.s.o) but with
> DHCP, it works just fine.

Paul,

Are you sure you haven't got something on the system set up to bring up
that second device automatically?  On fedora core 3, for example you
would have to make sure the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth[x]
file doesn't have "ONBOOT=yes", or uncheck the "Activate on boot"
checkbox in system-config-network.

If your system isn't set to activate these on boot, then its most
probably a NetworkManager bug.  (remember though that stuff like cardmgr
may call ifup/ifdown scripts as well, which don't play well with
NetworkManager at all).