Re: Problem (and the patch) when having multiple search domains on a network.

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 18:07 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> Could you try the patch?  I'm in the middle of a number of things right
> now and won't have a chance to set up a DHCP server etc for testing
> soon.

Both patches work, could you please submit one of them, so that it ends
up in the CVS, it already got one conflict today. Sorry for not testing
it earlier, but I had to wait to get to work, since my home router
doesn't support sending domains at all.

> I am still wondering whether this is actually a standard DHCP feature,
> and if it is whether other separators like tab are valid.

RFC calls it domain name, singular, and it doesn't specify anything
about having multiple domains in there. However, most of the DHCP
servers I encountered send multiple domains (internal, external,
short,...) which is the basic reason why this parameter ends up in the
search line of the resolv.conf file, instead of in the domain line.

Further more, it seems that there are some limitations on the search
parameter in the resolv.conf. According to the man page, it is limited
to 6 domains, with maximum 255 characters.

Best regards,
--
Tomislav Vujec
Manager, Client Development