Re: VPN client configuration

Doug Farmer wrote:
> hey Tim,

Hi Doug.

> I don't mean to be a bother but I need to install a newer version of

No prob, I'm in the mood for this right before christmas ;-)

> dbus and I can't do so using yum since it says that I am up to date. I
> am using version 0.33 of dbus and the NetworkManager needs a version >=
> 0.35. I downloaded 0.60 of dbus but can not find any documentation on
> how to install. I even tried the documentation on dbus' website and
> still couldn't find anything. You wouldn't happen to know how to install
> dbus would you?
>
> Again, I appreciate all you help and cooperation.

There are two ways to accomplish this.

Alternative 1:
Get the appropriate source RPMs from Fedora Core development, compile
and install.

Alternative 2:
Use the nrpms repository. This is what I would prefer. nrpms
(http://www.nrpms.net) is a repository that has packages of the newest
Gnome version and stuff for FC4. See http://www.nrpms.net/Docs/Yum/ how
to enable this. After you have installed the mentioned package (use the
all packages file) you have to do a "yum update" which will update quite
  a few packages. I'm using nrpms on my Notebook and it works just fine.
Note that there may be problems that I'm not aware of so think about it
before doing it. Have backups and a cup of coffee ready.

I would recommend Alternative 2. Think about the risks before. I think
they are somewhat harmless but as we say in Germany: The devil hides in
the details.

	Tim

--
    Tim Niemueller <tim niemueller de>      www.niemueller.de
 Imagination is more important than knowledge. (Albert Einstein)