Re: VPN client configuration

Doug Farmer wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how configure a vpn connection through the
> NetworkManager, but have been unsuccessful. I am fairly new to using
> Linux so please bear with me if my questions don't seem very educated.
> My dilema is that I do not even see an menu option in the NetworkManager
> that I can use to create a VPN connection. Do I have all the packages

What kind of VPN connection? Cisco or OpenVPN?

> I think that I have everything since all that was offered using 'yum' is
> what I installed. Can anyone direct me towards a document on how to
> setup the VPN client or can you tell me if I have not
> installed/configured something that I should have.

You need to install a plug-in for NM to get support for your favorite
VPN solution. First you should uninstall one of the NetworkManager
packages (the older one) to avoid problems.

If you want vpnc get vpnc from FC 4 Extras and install it. Then get
NetworkManager-vpnc src rpm from FC Devel Extras and rebuild (rpmbuild
--rebuild ...) and install the generate package.

For OpenVPN get OpenVPN vom FC 4 Extras and install it. Then download
http://www.niemueller.de/software/patches/NetworkManager-openvpn-0.3.1-1.src.rpm
and rebuild with "rpmbuid --rebuild <file>" and install the generated
package afterwards.

Restart NetworkManager with /etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart and the
VPN entries should appear in the applet menu.

	Tim

--
    Tim Niemueller <tim niemueller de>      www.niemueller.de
 Imagination is more important than knowledge. (Albert Einstein)