Re: OpenVPN routes

George Billios wrote:
> This one goes to Tim.

Hi George, hi list.

> For example, I don't only want to 'tell' my packets that for 10.5.x.x/16
> go through tap0 but be more specific and say that for 10.5.x.x/16 you
> should go to 10.5.x.10 which could be different from the gateway to
> other end of the vpn connection.
>
> I can accomplish that with "PUSH" commands from the openvpn server but
> it doesn't work at the moment with NetworkManager implementation due to
> current NetworkManager restrictio, as you told me in another email, so I
> thought maybe you can also add a gateway field in the routes configuration.

OK, I understand the problem. We could extend the syntax of the routing
parameters to take an optional gateway argument or we take the
information we get from the vpn gateway and display a note to the user
that there are specific settings in place. This could be done with
libnotify or as a regular popup (I would prefer the notify stuff, it's
less obtrusive).

Either way we need a method to send routes to NM core that should be set
besides what it sets anyway (or maybe even overriding the original
settings). I will have a look and come up with a patch. Unfortunately at
the moment time is quite limited as a few other things have to be done
by this year. Will find some free minutes though!

	Tim

--
    Tim Niemueller <tim niemueller de>      www.niemueller.de
 Imagination is more important than knowledge. (Albert Einstein)