draw applet without theme

Hi folks,

thanks for Network Manager ... very cool for my laptop esp. with vpnc
support I've finally dumped the Cisco client.

Some minor thing I'd like to remove for myself:
The applet draws a menubar with a menuitem in it. With the theme I'm
using menubars have a sublte gradient on the lower end. Since the applet
appears in the notification area, however, this looks awkward.

I'd be thankful for a hint as to what functions I need to look for to
make the menubar/menuitem draw with a null theme ... or perhaps there's
a better way of forcing a transparent background like most other
notifications (which admittedly don't draw left click menus).

TIA,

Karl.