Re: NetworkManager and NIS

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 18:15 +0100, Stefan Scheler wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I played a bit around with NetworkManager and I think a must-have feature that
> is currently missing is surely to set up NIS if available. I already prepared
> a bit of code (diff attached) to read the NIS domain, and NIS servers from
> the dhcp reply into NMIP4Config.

Sounds great actually.  One note on the patch: config->nis_domain is set
with a g_strdup(), but its not freed when the config is unref-ed.  You
should just need a g_free (config->nis_domain) in nm_ip4_config_unref().

Do you have gnome commit access?  If not, send an updated patch with
that change and I'll put it in.

> What's still to be done is to set up the nis domain name and modify yp.conf
> accordingly. This should probably placed somehow in the distribution specific
> backends (i don't know how distribution specific that task really is)?

It likely will be distro-specific.  I don't know if anyone has cooked up
a resolvconf-type thing to manage yp.conf yet, but surely fewer apps
fight over it than resolv.conf.  It might be adequate to just not care
about this until we find out another tool that wants to write yp.conf as
well.  The other issue is how to alert the system that yp.conf has
changed...

Thanks!