Re: OpenVPN support questions

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 17:38 +0100, Tim Niemueller wrote:
> > I have been trying the new openvpn support (0.2.0, ubuntu packages from
> > http://bootlab.org/~j/NetworkManager-breezy/), and have a few questions:
> >
> > - My office VPN uses certificates, and username / pass authentication,
> > is this supported ?
>
> No, not at the moment. But since basically all code is there it is no
> problem. Will add that over the weekend.

Ahh, excellent, I should really get round to getting NM compiled from
source so that I can hack it too :-)

> > - When openvpn is spawned, does it log what it is doing anywhere?
>
> The --syslog flag is added to OpenVPN so all essential logging
> information should be available in syslog.

That's really odd, I have looked around in my syslog, and can't see
anything at all from openvpn (it happily logs to syslog when I use it's
init script to start it up).

> > Basically I can't get the vpn working, and even starting NM with
> > --no-daemon doesn't appear to log anything from openvpn, so I'm not
> > exactly sure why it isn't connecting.
>
> Please check the syslog if there is any information. Please also give
> "ps ax" a try (you must be quick to see the OpenVPN process after you
> clicked on the connection in the NM applet).

Yeah, I have seen the openvpn process, and managed to strace it :-) It
is sitting there writing data to the remote address. I imagine nothing
else is happening because of the configuration differences you
highlighted.

Cheers for your excellent work :-)

(BTW, I'll get you a screenshot at the weekend, the property page is
just about usable at the moment, perhaps someone will be able to come up
with a mockup that shrinks the space it needs).

Crispin