Re: Debian integration

debian's network infrastructure might be modular, but afaik there is,
besides gnome-system-tools, no gui for it. gnome-system-tools shows that
it is not trivial to integrate well with the debian subsystem, my laptop
setup never worked, i.e. detection of active interfaces resulting in a
not responding gnome-system-tools dialog for more than 30 seconds.

NetworkManager solves many of the shortcomings
of /etc/network/interfaces and ifupdown in terms of flexibility for
mobile use. in the long term network configuration in gnome should be
dealt with by NetworkManager + a subset of the network dialog
gnome-system-tools provides.

NetworkManager right now, i.e. with the integration of a dhcp client,
is taking care of many of the modules that can be set in e/n/i / that
are triggered by ifupdown.
NetworkManager moves network configuration to the desktop and while
doing so its done in a cross distribution way.

so whats left to the distribution specific backends?
right now that is a switch dhcp/static + setting up static ip addresses.
dhcp configuration moved out of the distribution backends with the
integration of the dhcp client.

i my opinion the distribution backends should be as small as possible
and do only what can not be done cross distribution. ifupdown would
do more than needed, thats why i think it should not be used in
NetworkManager.