NMLaunchHelper and encrypted wireless networks

right now NMLaunchHelper blocks NetworkManager in the init scripts until
it has a connectio,n or until a timeout occurs. which in my case is the
timeout in 99% of the time (wireless encrypted networks).
right now i have to log in to gnome, and select the wireless network,
which i want to connect to, since NetworkManagerInfo gets the key from
gconfd. what can be done about that?
for the short term, it would be the best to remove NMLauncherHelper from
the init scripts - in the long term, i think, we need a way to connect
to known wireless networks without NetworkManagerInfo, or make it try to
connect to known networks than started, and not wait for user
interaction.