madwifi and NetworkManager

so I was having problems w/ NetworkManager and my madwifi using T42p, I
noticed this thread

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2004-November/msg00090.html

and yes, iwlist was giving me issues.  so I started instrumenting the
driver and iwlist itself.

it appears madwifi takes a while to return, and iwlist was timing out.
if I reset iwlist's timeouts to 2 seconds each (as opposed to 250ms and
100ms) it worked perfectly each time.

could it be a similiar problem w/ NetworkManager?

obviously madwifi has issues, I've set an e-mail to it's -dev mailing
list, as dont have a clue right now about how its internals work, so
dont know how to fix it there.