Re: What I've been doing - DHCP client coding

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Colin Walters wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 20:46 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since I've gotten fed up with the DHCP situation with NetworkManager, I
> > started looking at existing dhcp clients with the idea of incorporating
> > one into NetworkManager.  This has the following benefits:
>
> Yeah, makes a lot of sense.
>
> > 2) We have to keep up with security issues.  This is fairly easy if the
> > code is simple.
>
> One thing you can do here by the way is to do the DHCP in a separate
> process, and talk to it over D-BUS.  This allows us to lock it down
> pretty tightly with SELinux.

Ok, that does sound like a good idea.  More complicated though...

> > I decided that dhcpcd would fit best, so I spent the past few days
> > refactoring it to not use global variables and to clean up some of the
> > code.  I've now gotten it mostly into the shape where its suitable to be a
> > library that we and other projects can link in.  I'll be getting it up to
> > speed, committing the code to CVS,
>
> Could we do another release before then?  There have been some bugfixes
> I'd like to see out.  Or maybe even think about a 0.3 branch, and
> integrating DHCP would be for 0.4.

Hmm, I'm not really happy with the situation right now, I feel that NM
only works like 50% of the time for anything, and I haven't had or seen
good success with it in a while.  Hence the DHCP stuff.