What I've been doing - DHCP client coding

Hi,

Since I've gotten fed up with the DHCP situation with NetworkManager, I
started looking at existing dhcp clients with the idea of incorporating
one into NetworkManager.  This has the following benefits:

1) We don't have to depend on the execution cycle of external daemons.
We'd really just love to have a library that we could call to do the work.
When we switch interfaces, we have to 'kill -9' the current dhclient
process (at least on Fedora).  We could try to get its PID when we execute
it, but that's more code since we can't use g_spawn_sync() anymore.

2) MUCH better error reporting.  Since we're not dependent on an
executable, we can have much better error reporting.  We know when the
request has failed, we know immediately when it has succeeded, etc.  We
can control the renewal, etc.

For NetworkManager, good error and state reporting is essential.  It seems
that the only way we can accurately detect a link for all wireless cards
is to do DHCP on them, this allows us to do Open System authentication
too.  Therefore, we need to be able to control, in a fine-grained manner,
the operation of the DHCP client if we are able to use it as our
link-validation method.

3) We don't have to use external scripts for configuration.  While
external scripts are nice, and may have a place in the NetworkManager
architecture in the future, they inhibit us right now.  For example, on
Fedora, the scripts take the interface down when the DHCP fails.  We need
to keep that interface up so that scanning can work.  They also do other
wierd things that weren't intended for something like NetworkManager.

The cons of this approach are:

1) We have _another_ dhcp client around.  Most distributions already ship
with one.

2) We have to keep up with security issues.  This is fairly easy if the
code is simple.

3) Some small loss of distribution-specific configurability.  Since we're
not using those distribution-specific scripts (like /sbin/dhclient-script
on Fedora), the internal DHCP stuff won't necessarily set the card up in
the same way.

This is mostly an issue with stuff like bridging, bonding, VLANs, etc.
However, since we don't support these right now anyway, I consider it
something we can overlook until we decided to add support for them.

So, I took a look at a couple DHCP clients over the past few days:

a) ISC dhcp: includes both client and server.  Looks like the most
actively developed and most complete.  However, its _quite_ hard to
separate the server and client code, and the client code is quite
intertwined with OMAPI objects.  We'd need to include about 25 .c files
and it would take significant effort to separate out just the client bits.
BSD-type license.

b) udhcpd: small, but doesn't seem to be proven to work as many places.
Both client and server.

c) pump: small, but has known issues with some DHCP servers, and is not
actively maintained.  People keep telling me we're trying to kill it
anyway.  Client only.

d) dhcpcd: small, GPL license.  Client-only.  However, it uses global
variables for the entire client state and packet data.

I decided that dhcpcd would fit best, so I spent the past few days
refactoring it to not use global variables and to clean up some of the
code.  I've now gotten it mostly into the shape where its suitable to be a
library that we and other projects can link in.  I'll be getting it up to
speed, committing the code to CVS, and changing the link detection of
NetworkManager to go through a full DHCP process before determining
failure or success of a link.

Thoughts?  Its not too late :)  Most of the decision to go this route was
due to Open System support, as well as random "it won't connect to my
access point and keeps asking for a WEP key" complaints, all valid ones.
This should fix these problems, at the cost of waiting a bit longer for a
connection.  We can, however, provide more user feedback during the
connection process, which should compensate for that.  I feel that at this
time, slower-but-robust connection process is better than
faster-but-sucks.