Re: Network Manager and IPW2100

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 22:14 -0500, Ryan Skadberg wrote:
>   Updated my IPW2100 drivers to the latest version, 0.61.  This seems
> to have caused havoc with NetworkManager.  It keeps telling me it
> can't find my WAP.
> [snip]
>
> Due to this change, I now need to set my WEP key like this in Redhat (FC3):
> KEY="restricted XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX"
> Previously, I could just put the key in there, but now I must put the
> restricted word in.
>
> It seems like this changed has totally screwed up NetworkManager.

I don't think this is because of the restricted vs. open change in
ipw2100.  NetworkManager already defaults to restricted.  Do you have
your access point set to broadcast its SSID and use Shared Key
authentication?  You might also try resetting NM's configuration:

$ gconftool-2 --dump /system/networking/wireless/networks > wlan.xml
$ gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /system/networking/wireless/networks

I'm also running the ipw2100/NM combo and while there does seem to be a
problem with AP scanning, I can usually make it work after a couple of
retries.  I intend to spend more time with the issue but it seems that
the problem is in ipw2100's scanning.  The output of "iwlist wlan0 scan"
is not very stable and that confuses NM.  I've also seen cases where
NM's scans result in a firmware reset.  What does your syslog say?

> My questions are these:
>
>   a) If we force restricted, will that screw other people up?

As I said, restricted is already forced.

>   b) Is there a way we can add a try restricted if cannot find AP?

It should actually be the other way around.  NM currently doesn't work
with open system authentication, since there are problems with WEP key
failure detection.  Dan posted an explanation on the fedora-test-list
(http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-
November/msg00267.html).

>   c) Is there a way I can set this now?
>   d) lastly, if I wanted to hack this in for now, where the heck would
> I do it?  Having all sorts of trouble finding the right place since I
> don't know the code all that well.

Take a look at src/NetworkManagerDevice.c:826.  But note that
auth_method is never set to NM_DEVICE_AUTH_METHOD_OPEN_SYSTEM.

--
Ziga