Re: ndiswrapper and NetworkManager

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 22:19 -0500, Joe Ammond wrote:
> I've made a patch to ndiswrapper-0.11 that allows my Broadcom
> BCM4309 802.11a/b/g MiniPCI card to work with NetworkManager.
> Right now the patch only works with PCI/MiniPCI, I haven't
> extended it to the USB portions of the code yet (it's a simple
> fix that I didn't have time to finish).  I'll clean the patch
> up tomorrow morning and send it off to the ndiswrapper
> developers for inclusion (or derision, their call).
>
> I'm happy to finally be able to use NetworkManager on my laptop.
> It works really well on my FC3rc5 installation.

Great!!  I've seen about 10 people using ndiswrapper so far that are
having problems, both on this list and Fedora lists.  Could you post the
patch to this list (or email it to me, I'm interested in it)?  How hard
will it be to get upstream?

What the ndiswrapper developers have to understand is that their stuff
is fundamentally broken until they support sysfs.  They don't really
need a 'driver' link (though it would be really, really nice), but a
'device' link is almost mandatory.  It has to get done in ndiswrapper
because the Windows drivers, of course, aren't going to set a NETDEV on
themselves :)