Re: CVS-12-21-04

All is well now. There was a bug in NMWirelessAppletDbus.c that was causing the 'stuck in adhoc mode problem' but it was patched yesterday afternoon. BTW, when the panel applet showed adhoc mode, iwconfig never showed adhoc mode. It always showed Managed mode.

About the only thing I am seeing now that does not seem right is that it can take from 15-30 seconds to connect to a wireless network. syslog shows that sometimes the DHCP transaction is fast, 2 seconds and no errors and sometimes it lasts for as long as 17 seconds, filling syslog with messages. I can manually connect with FC3 dhclient or the latest version of dhcpcd in about a second but both of these use a cache so if the DHCP server is slow to respond, they will go to the cache. In syslog, I can see as much as 50 pages, 36 lines per page, of this

Dec 22 13:34:17 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP: Sending request packet...
Dec 22 13:34:17 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP: Sent request packet.
Dec 22 13:34:17 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP: Waiting for reply...
Dec 22 13:34:17 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP waiting for data, overall timeout = {1103740478s, 358557us} Dec 22 13:34:17 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP waiting for data, remaining timeout = {20s, 646657us} Dec 22 13:34:17 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP: Got some data to check for reply packet. Dec 22 13:34:17 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP: Received data of len 342, looking for at least 28
Dec 22 13:34:17 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP: actual data length was 342
Dec 22 13:34:17 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP: Reply message's source port was not the DHCP server port number, won't use it.

Ssuccess occurs when I see

Dec 22 13:34:18 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP: Sending request packet...
Dec 22 13:34:18 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP: Sent request packet.
Dec 22 13:34:18 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP: Waiting for reply...
Dec 22 13:34:18 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP waiting for data, overall timeout = {1103740478s, 358557us} Dec 22 13:34:18 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP waiting for data, remaining timeout = {20s, 32522us} Dec 22 13:34:18 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP: Got some data to check for reply packet. Dec 22 13:34:18 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP: Received data of len 576, looking for at least 28
Dec 22 13:34:18 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP: actual data length was 576
Dec 22 13:34:18 localhost NetworkManager: debug_dump_dhcp_options: 11 options received:

It looks like the DHCP server is responding but the responses are mostly unsatisfactory. They do not pass the error tests. I thought there might be a bug in client.c but I could not find it. I was trying to compare to the code for dhcpcd. No joy. At any rate, occasionally there are no errors. I see the same thing at home and at the office.

I made two modifications that reduced the errors due to ipw2200. I hardwired the scanned signal strength (strength = 50;) and I added a return to the set bitrate function so that it does nothing. When ipw2200 gets up to speed, this can be reversed. I got tired of all the error messages and I wanted to see something besides an empty signal strength bar. Call it wishful thinking.

--
Bill Moss
Professor, Mathematical Sciences