Re: nm_device_set_frequency fails and connection is reset

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 16:08 +0100, j bootlab org wrote
> for one thing i get error messages in syslog:
> NetworkManager: nm_device_set_frequency(): error setting frequency
> 2437000000.000000 for device eth2.  errno = 16

This either needs to get fixed in the driver or the we need to blacklist
the card for that operation.

> the other problem is i loose the connection all the time,
> iwconfig will show Access Point: 44:44:44:44:44:44
> for a short time and than get the connection again.
>
> in the code that is:
> http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/NetworkManager/src/NetworkManagerDevice.c?r1=1.69&r2=1.70
>
> nm_device_set_mode (dev, orig_mode);
> nm_device_set_frequency (dev, orig_freq);
> nm_device_set_bitrate (dev, orig_rate);
>
> commenting that out the connection is ok again

Ok, unfortunately many cards don't return very good scan results when
they are in ad-hoc mode for some reason, we need to figure out what the
cause of that is.  Therefore I added code like above to set the mode to
managed for the duration of the scan.  I'd really like to figure out why
this behavior occurs, for example is it that the card can't listen for
beacons from APs when it also has to transmit its own beacons for Ad-Hoc
mode?  More investigation needed.