Re: Better link-local code

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 18:01 +0100, Tom Parker wrote:
> Remember the link-local code I posted before? Scrap it, I've got a
> replacement.  It's based on the Zeroconf example code
> (http://www.zeroconf.org/AVH-IPv4LL.c), with a whole bunch of
> modifications. The autoip.c attached to this mail should be dumped into
> the dhcpcd/ folder, and then the patch applied, and this will give
> NetworkManager full auto-ip support, with no additional external
> dependancies. This WFM, but may do nasty things. Testers wanted.
>
> (This patch is dedicated to the Globecom conference I've just attended,
> as thanks to them I had a 9 1/2 hour trans-atlantic flight to work on
> this patch. If that's not far away from a DHCP server, I don't know
> what is).

Committed with a few improvements (namely to support cancelling
activation so we don't block up switching to another network).  I also
switched the behavior a bit so that it gets called from
NetworkManagerDevice.c during the IP configuration, and autoip will
activate if DHCP fails.

Hmm, I have to think about this.  Previously, failure of DHCP would
trigger a switch to a new access point.  In this new code with autoip,
failure assigns a link-local address to the card rather than searching
for a new AP.  And it also may be the case that some activation fallback
functions are changed too, for example, we might pass the shared
key/open system auth checks now when before we didn't.  Anyway, I'll
have to audit this stuff at work today and see what needs to be done to
tighten up usage of autoip to instances where you really don't actually
have any chance of a connection.

Thanks,