Re: dbus and hal versions.

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 12:22 -0500, freerock wrote:
> I'm trying to get network manager working on Slackware 10. I have
> installed dbus-0.22 and hal-0.4.2. dbus installs and works fine, but
> after I install NetworkManager I get this error when starting dbus:
>
> Failed to start message bus: Attribute "at_console" is invalid on
> <policy> element in this context

That's because at_console is a pam_console specific feature. In my view,
it should be removed from D-BUS.

NM and others should handle it's own authentication. Ideally this could
be shared/abstracted in a shared library that NM, HAL and others can
use. Vendors can then patch that library to suit their system, e.g.
Fedora would use pam_console. This way we can also make it more fine
grained what specific users/processes are allowed to do.

You may just s/at_console="true"/context="default"/ in
the /etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManagerInfo.conf, but note that this
will enable any random user logged in to control networking.

Cheers,
David