Popup window "The underlying debugger engine process died."

I'm running a fresh install of nemiver (installed with sudo apt-get install nemiver on Ubuntu 14.04) with the following test.cpp:

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
  std::cout << "Hello World!";
}

Compiled with:

g++ test.c -g -o test.o

g++ --version
g++ (Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04) 4.8.4
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

and then I'm running gdb

gdb test.o
GNU gdb (Ubuntu 7.7.1-0ubuntu5~14.04.2) 7.7.1
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from test.o...done.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/dave/dev/boundless_cpp/test.o
Hello World![Inferior 1 (process 21945) exited normally]

Works fine.

However if I try to run using nemiver:

nemiver test.o

The app starts but then pops up a message "The underlying debugger engine process died.". I don't see any options to make this error more verbose. Is this as a bug or am I missing something?

Oh and I have already tried this from the FAQ:
gconftool-2 --set --type string  /apps/nemiver/dbgperspective/gdb-binary /usr/bin/gdb

I still get the popup everytime. Same happens if I use the GUI.