Support for Assembly Language Debugging

There is a 2009 book on Linux Assembly called <Assembly Language Step
By Step, for Linux>:
http://www.duntemann.com/assembly.html

Though the book is not released under a libre license, it is still
nice to see books talking about FOSS.
However, that book uses Insight as GDB frontend, which seems
unmaintained and removed from Debian/Ubuntu repo for quite a long
time.
http://sourceware.org/insight/

Nemiver seems to be one of next generation GDB front-ends. (I assume
GTK+ is more modern than Tcl/Tk here.)

I just tried Nemiver on Ubuntu 13.04. It seems working for C/C++
programs. But I cannot make it work for assembly programs.

In particular, use the hello.asm in the following page:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Assembly-HOWTO/hello.html

And use:
nasm -f elf64 -g hello.asm
ld -o hello hello.o

Load "hello" into Nemiver, it just report program exited.
Using plain GDB, I can at least use "l" to see the assembly source.

Can anyone help? Thank you in advance.