Re: [anjuta-devel] Sharing code between Nemiver and Anjuta

Hi,

Le 27/06/2013 00:01, Hubert Figuière a écrit :
The question is why using Gtk instead of Qt, and I think it goes along
why using Gnome instead of KDE. I'm sure that if Nemiver was written
using Qt, you wouldn't even be discussing the integration.

It was just a question. I haven't meant that you should use Qt if you program in C++ and Gtk if you write in C.

I personally rather have the compiler tell me there is an error than
discover eons later the error because it is a seldom used code path.

Me too.

Another option is vala, the toolchain is no very mature, but I think
it's easier to write than C++.
The fact that you even suggest it.... ok I see the bait right here.

The goal is to get more informations but I don't need to take this too seriously neither.

Then gobject introspection provide this advantage to quite common
languages like javascript or Python. And if you want to write code
faster, I think it's a much better option than C++.
*sigh*
Run faster? Debug faster?

Yes, it's really useful sometimes to be able to write a program with few lines of code even if it is more buggy. I think you cannot do something fast and be very accurate at the same time.

Are you willing to program or fix bugs in C for a library used by
Nemiver? GDL by example?
May I remind WHO was the first to propose this?

I have not asked him to do anything and I will not do it.

Sorry, when your END
USER is about to run through them. That mean the person that can fix
them doesn't necessarily hit them. This should be at least the second
line of defense, not the first as you argue.

I don't argue that it's better to do run time check, it costs time and indeed it needs more test. It's always better to do at compile time if you can do it.

My point is that run time checks are better than no check at all which corresponds here to plain C without GLib.

You seem to misunderstand here how Gtkmm works.

It's quite possible, I don't know how it's working. I will look at it but I haven't done it yet.

To me it look like the same consensus: "C++ is dirty, it suck, I don't
know it. Let's do some more DIY to implement stuff C++ already provides."

Then, I have badly miswritten my email if you have understood this. I hope this one is better. I have used C++ before and I don't think it's a bad language at all even if I don't use it in Anjuta. I haven't the impression to have rewritten it in C neither.

And I find that trying to convince seasoned developers that they
shouldn't be using C++ but use C is in pretty bad taste, even more when
none of your arguments are valid.

Sorry but I have just tried to explain, badly apparently, that I see some advantages in C+GLib compared to C++. I have not listed the advantages of C++ versus C because Dodji has already done it.

I'm not trying to convince anybody. I have written explicitly that I don't expect Nemiver to use GObject instead of C++. On the other hand, Dodji propose to change Anjuta to use C++ and I haven't rejected the idea yet so...

Best Regards,

Sébastien