Re: Hello ! It's been a long time ! - patch ready (almost) for pop up issue :)

Hello Seemanta,

Sorry for my late reply. I hate replying late to code questions like
that, but this time I am afraid I have no other way but to apologize :(

Le lundi 03 mai 2010 à 03:24:39% (+0530), Seemanta Dutta a écrit:
> Thanks for your detailed answer.

You are welcome.

[...]

> I have now implemented the yes/no dialog  behaviour and it works :D

Oh, great!

> As you suggested, I used a veto mechanism. But
> before I can send a patch to you for review, I have a few questions that
> need to be answered.

No problem.

> 1. I used LOG_DD macro for logging. But I am not seeing any log
> messages. I
> suspect I might not be turning on some macro. Can you please point me to it
> ?

In Nemiver, logs are controlled by log domains. A log domain is just a
string. You can emit a message for a log domain by using the macro:

LOG_D ("message", "log-domain-foo");

Then, when you set the environment variable NMV_LOG_DOMAINS and launch
Nemiver like this:

NMV_LOG_DOMAINS=log-domain-foo nemiver, the log "message" will be
displayed on standard output.

The macro LOG_DD is a shortcut macro that means, "Log the message for
the default (log) domain". And the default log domain there is the name
of the source code file where you used the LOG_DD macro.

Suppose you are writing code in file foo.cc, and you write
LOG_DD("boo"); The, if you want to see your logs, you have to launch
nemiver with an environment variable saying:

NMV_LOG_DOMAIN=foo.cc nemiver

The log message "boo" will appear on standard output.

This is very handy because it let's us scatter logging around in the
code, and whenever a user reports a weird bug somewhere, we can ask him
for a specific log of a specific Nemiver subsystem to understand his
problem better.

There is documentation about Nemiver logging on the wiki at:

http://live.gnome.org/Nemiver/ActivateLogging

> 2. How do I know if an inferior is being debugged ?

The IDebugger interface has the function:
IDebugger::is_attached_to_target for that.

So, if you are in the DBGPerspective class, you can check for
debugger ()->is_attached_to_target ().

[...]

> 3. The pop that comes up, comes up at my top left hand side of the
> screen.
> Not sure if this is a GTK+ specific setting on my machine or default
> behaviour of all top level pop ups. Can it be modified so that the pop up
> comes right in the center of the main workbench window ?

Hmmh. I think we could use some GTK+-fu in the function that pops up the
dialog, but that's independant from your patch. How about reviewing your
patch first, and then fix that dialog positionning issue separately?

> Once I get the answers to the above questions, I can release an
> initial patch for you to review. I can upload my patch directly to
> bugzilla for this bug which is already opened, right ?

You can do that, or you can just send the patch to this list in
attachment to your email. I suspect I or Jonner (or both) will happily
review it in a timely manner :-) I prefer patches to be sent to the
mailing list, because then it's easier for me to just reply to
the patch by email and do the review like that. I like the power that
git gives us by being able to work while being disconnected. I use that
same power for email. I fetch my emails, and read them offline. I find
it inconvenient to be obliged to be connected to do patch reviews in
bugzilla.

Also, please assign the bug to yourself in bugzilla so that nobody
duplicates work trying to work on the same bug.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

        Dodji