Re: [Nemiver-list] Variable monitor widget

Hey Jonner,

Jonathon Jongsma a écrit :

[...]

I am thinking about starting to implement a variable monitor widget
(aka a variable 'watch' widget) for nemiver.  If anyone has any
comments about how it should be implemented, feel free to share them.

FWIW, at an 'engine' level, I think it would be interesting to base the widget on the IVarListWalker interface. That interface can update the state of a defined set of variables upon a call on its IVarListWalker::do_walk_variables() entry point.

I do have some questions concerning the user interaction. How do you think we should do to add variables to the monitor ? I was thinking about being able to type in the monitor widget, the name of the variable you wanted to monitor. It could also be nice to be able to select a variable in the source code editor, right click and hit "add to monitor", or something like that. What do you think ?

Then there is the problem of "out of scope" detection and reporting.

Suppose the user is stepping in a function foo_func() and wants to monitor a variable foo that is local to that function foo_func(). What happens when the current instruction pointer suddenly goes out of the scope of the function ? I think we should detect that and visually flag the variable somehow, showing the user that the variable went out of scope. I have no idea how to present that to the user. Even the engine part of is not clear to me yet because error reporting on variable query is pretty weak in our infrastructure at the moment. So this is something we need to address.

There is also the need to be able to be able to monitor "locations" pointed to by addresses, instead of just variable names. I am not sure how to present that either.

I am not sure this helps much, but I thought I'd be good to write about my current state of thoughts on the matter :-)

Thank you for raising this up.

Cheers,

Dodji.