Re: Relicensing Nautilus to GPLv3+

On Thu, 2017-05-18 at 15:47 -0400, Carlos Soriano wrote:
Maybe I didn't explain well. Emilio points out there could one one of
those extensions that say GPL2+ to link to a GPL2-only library. But
that would make the extension itself GPL2 anyway, and it's License
file would have to reflect that initially.

Again, it wouldn't. The combined work would be GPLv2-only, but each one
of the items keeps its own license. The licenses are compatible.

You don't have to have an piece of code depending on the exact same
version of the license if those licenses are compatible. GPLv2-only is
compatible with GPLv2+, as the license mentions for that dependency
says:
"either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later
version."

The selection is "made" automatically when you run those 2 items in the
same memory address space (eg. when you "link" them).

It's just a hipotetical case, I checked the extensions dependencies
in a quick look and look fine (>= GPL+2).