Re: "Add drive" designs

Ross Lagerwall <rosslagerwall gmail com> wrote:
 1. Is it possible to discover servers on the network, in order to
present them in a list? Are there scenarios where this wouldn't work
for UX reasons (say, in environments where there are a lot of
servers)?

This is going to be tricky.  At the moment, network:/// shows
avahi-published services (e.g. afp, sftp, ftp) and windows servers.
Some of them may be directly mountable (equivalent to a "drive"), others
may be a server that needs to be logged into before you can even see
what "drives" are available to mount. The windows section can show
multiple different workgroups/domains, each with tens of servers, each
with several shares. I'd imagine this to be common on an office network.
Presenting this as some sort of tree may be possible, although I'm not
sure if it's any better than the existing implementation, which is just
a filesystem tree.

From a technical perspective, enumerating all the windows share to show
in the Connect dialog would be problematic since it isn't really an
asynchronous process. But hey, technical problems can be fixed :-)

Thanks Ross, that's helpful. From a UI perspective, some kind of
filtering or browsing by workgroup/domain seems like it would be
necessary.

Thinking about this some more, another thing that we'd to decide is
whether ad hoc network browsing is necessary from the file chooser...

Allan