extension to open a location inside nautilus in the same tab

Hello,
I would like to write an extension that would follow a symbolic link to its real location. I.e if I have a link ~/foo into ~/bar/foo/, I would like get to ~/bar/foo/ so that going to parent directory via ALT+up would get me to ~/bar/ and not to ~. I would like to do this in the same window and tab. I know how to do this by opening a new window, but I would like to reuse an existing window. Is that possible? I could not find it here: https://developer.gnome.org/libnautilus-extension/stable/
I am writing the extension in Python, if it matters.
Regardas,
Tomas