Where does Nautilus Get Audio/Video Metadata from, can I batch edit it?

Hi,

Nautilus 3.4.2 on Ubuntu 12.04.

I wondered if you could explain some metadata concepts for me regarding
to what I see in Nautilus. I right click on a media video file and
choose properties > Audio/Video. I see metadata fields for Title, Artist
and many other things. Most of the files are flv. Nautilus seems to
easily be able to access the metadata....

I want to edit many file's metadata in a batch way w/script to save
time. I assume these metadata are embedded in the files.

Where does especially the Artist, Album and Title metadata fields
"live"? I want to edit these fields. Is the there a command line way to
access and edit these fields?

Thanks, hope not too off-topic...

                          or over the web