Re: Fwd: Safely remove option shows with Micro SD Card connected to Linux through an Android phone

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012, prasannatsmkumar wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Alan Stern <stern rowland harvard edu> wrote:

> >> Yes of course it does not have a optical disc or disk drive. But I
> >> thought if there is no such thing nautilus should not try to spin
> >> down. Linux kernel has nothing to do with this problem though.
> >
> > Right.  Bear in mind that nautilus may not have any way of finding out
> > whether the device has removable media, other than requesting for the
> > media to be ejected.  But if it doesn't know then failure of the
> > request shouldn't be reported as an error.
>
> Is kernel not exposing this information?

What I wrote earlier was wrong, sorry.

No, the kernel does not export it.  But user programs can get the
information directly from the device in exactly the same way that the
kernel does, by issuing an INQUIRY command.

>  The other OS shows "Eject"
> for the android device and for other pen drive I get a "safely remove"
> option - stated this assuming the options in nautilus and the other OS
> mean the same.

Alan Stern