Re: Nautilus search extension

On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 02:59 +0100, Ramaddan wrote:

> I have been using this extension for a very long time:
> http://saettaz.altervista.org/software/nautilus_search_tool.html
>
> Which lets you search for files within the current folder easily from
> the right button menu.
>
> I have been wondering though for a while how come this feature is not
> standard in nautilus, as it makes life much easier searching for
> files.

I don't see how this would be better than the search button Nautilus 3.0
already has on its toolbar...and spawning an external application to
search is a non starter here.

To be honest I think this is exactly the perfect task for an extension,
since:
- it replaces a core feature of the application
- it's about integrating nautilus with an external app
(gnome-search-tool)

Also, this mail [1] has some ideas on how to improve the built-in search
feature.

> Also, as a side remark, I support the idea of making the up-one-level
> button visible again.

No need to remark that again; I recently said on this list I'm open to
adding that again, *only* in the case when the always-use-location-entry
configuration option is turned on.

[1]
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2011-October/msg00013.html

Cosimo