Re: Project: Filtered view for nautilus

Hi Abhijeet,

On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 17:04 +0530, Abhijeet Rastogi wrote:

> I was going through the ideas page
> (http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2011/Ideas) of Gnome and I am
> interested in implementing the "filter feature for nautilus".

Thanks for your interest!

I'd like to clarify that the Nautilus-related ideas on that page were
not added by Nautilus developers, so they might not reflect the
direction the project wants to go wrt that specific area (e.g.
improvements in our Search interface would be much appreciated, but we
probably don't really want a Clipboard view).

This of course should not discourage you or anyone else to propose them,
or to discuss them here, as you're doing :)

> Nautilus already has "search feature" but it lacks in many ways.

As John said, I think improving the current Search feature is the way to
go...some things I would like to see at some point include:
- a more tight integration with Tracker
- improving the list view when used with Search, e.g. showing a
"Location" column by default (there's already a patch by Stefano in
Bugzilla for this IIRC)
- investigate a "grouping" view UI, where files/search results are
sorted in type groups with headlines
- investigate a live filtering UI for the current directory. Note that
the search bar 3.0 mockup [1] has a "Include sub-folders" option (which
did not get implemented yet...we currently always include sub-folders
when searching, as it was in 2.x). Ideally, when that's toggled off we
should live-filter the folder content.

Feel free to come up with other ideas and discuss them here!

[1] http://afaikblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/nautilus-expanded.png

Thanks,

Cosimo