sources related with "Recent Documents" in nautilus

Hello!
I am now learning Linux programming and participating in a little project. And I need to implement a program function that is similar to the function of "Recent Documents" in nautilus. But to search it in the source package is such a hard work. It costs me lots of time but found nothing, because there are so many files and I do not understand the development architecture and lots other things.
So, I am writing to you to ask that in the nautilus source package  which source files implement the function of "Recent Documents", which records and displays the documents been opened recently. And if it does not bother, would you like to explain how it is working  to me? Such as how other programs notify nautilus and how it responds and so on.
Looking forward to hear from you.
Thank you very much!
Regards.
--