Re: Autostart virus danger

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 06:11 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

> We are miscommunicating, because you are offering user help.  I am not
> asking for help.  I am concerned about making the GNU system handle
> these issues the best way.
>
> Where is the _code_ that implements this behavior.  Is it in Nautilus?

Yes, the presentation level is mostly in nautilus.

Under the hood, applications can declare themselves as capable of
handling autorun for one or more kind of pluggable media by adding
"x-content/foo" to the "MimeType" key of their desktop file (e.g. a
music player might specify "x-content/audio-cdda" if it handles hotplug
of audio discs); GIO uses the XDG machinery [1] to guess the content
type of the plugged media, and nautilus gathers this information to
build the choice offered in the autorun dialog. The code for this is
mostly in libnautilus-private/nautilus-autorun.[ch].

Note that nautilus itself has a binary (src/nautilus-autorun-software.c)
that register itself for the "x-content/software" type, which is
launched if the plugged media contains executable software.

[1]
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gio/unstable/GMount.html#g-mount-guess-content-type

Hope this helps,

Cosimo