Re: Simplified Nautilus (with less chrome)

On 22/01/10 13:00, nautilus-list-request gnome org wrote:
Message: 3 Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:48:43 +0100 From: Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> To: David Siegel <david siegel canonical com> Cc: nautilus-list <nautilus-list gnome org> Subject: Re: Simplified Nautilus (with less chrome) Message-ID: <1264153723 20197 4 camel fatty> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 12:50 -0600, David Siegel wrote:
>  I agree that the toolbar has not become too much more complex, but
>  with all of the interest in a simplified default toolbar, to add even
>  one more widget seems completely counterproductive and against the
>  interest of most users.
> > On the other hand, changing the location bar to fit just over the file
>  view is a really nice change. It's a much better use of space, as you
>  pointed out.
> > I think you're approach to the split view is reasonable -- you
>  acknowledge that it really increases the complexity of the
>  application, but users who don't use it won't be affected much;
>  however, I do think you underestimate how much more confusing and
>  unpleasant the default toolbar becomes for the majority of users, even
>  when only one or two widgets are added. Perhaps we can simply remove
>  the zoom and view selector from the toolbar entirely? These features
>  are used relatively rarely, are accessible in the View menu, and have
>  great shortcuts.
Yes, that is one of the approaches that seem most likely. However, I
don't just want to remove them without having any way to get them back.
Thus we want the toolbar editor work as it allows us to strip things
down without regressing the experience for people that use them.

--
I really like, that the zoom and the view selector are in the same toolbar!

Regards,
Jango