Re: Simplified Nautilus (with less chrome)

> Should Nautilus provide advanced
> functionality as long as the default configuration is kept simple?
> This seems like a very good principle for software in general, and
> Alex suggests that Nautilus will embrace this principle once the
> toolbar editor is available. If that is the case, I urge you not to
> increase complexity in the toolbar until the toolbar editor changes
> land and the default configuration can be kept simple. I just don't
> think the benefit of split pane view is worth the cost of adding
> complexity to an already complex toolbar.

Without wanting to seem too divisive, step on Alex's toes etc, this
seems like the *perfect* opportunity for a distributor to step in and
finish off the toolbar editor branch.

The last time I checked it was quite close to being finished (it worked
sans a few quirks), and several times now Alex has expressed his
agreement with it being eventually merged.

It would be great if Ubuntu could give a full week of developer time
towards this [1], much of the demand for a simplified Nautilus is coming
from the Ubuntu community, and by your own admission Nautilus is a focal
part of the desktop

John.

[1] My estimate of how long it will take to complete.