Re: Desktop window as normal window

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:14 AM, lord metroid <lordmetroid yahoo com> wrote:
>> You mean like a "desktop://" uri?
>>
>> Marcus
>
> I suppose that would be a solution if it would bring fourth the designated
> desktop folder with the ability to place the icons arbitraryily, show the
> mounted volumes, etc.
> In my hopes that I had missed somethingm I tried using desktop:// in
> nautilus 2.28.4 so I suppose it is not implemented.

The actual URL is x-nautilus-desktop://, but usage is discouraged. You
can just set the gconf show_desktop flag to false and open the desktop
(defaults to ~/Desktop) in its own browser or spatial window. To put
icons where you want arbitrarily, right click->Arrange by->Manually.
Mounted volumes already show up in computer:///, so there's no real
reason to duplicate that in the browser/spatial window (and frankly
IMO it's kind of silly on the regular desktop, but I guess most
distros ship that way by default). No real hacking necessary.

-A. Walton