Desktop window as normal window

Hello nautilus mailing list,

I love Nautilus and I have previously been running gnome but I rescently switched to openbox. The nautilus desktop if not disabled will open above the original desktop and prevent the openbox functionality. I still want the desktop with all the convienent features such as arbitrary located icons and shortcuts to mounted filesystems.

So my plan was to hack the source and make the nautilus desktop open in a normal window instead of the complete desktop size. However my knowledge of nautilus and GTK+ is inexistent. So before I start to hack, I thought it would be prudent to ask if opening the desktop in a normal window would even be possible to implement?

Best regards
Nicklas W Bjurman