Re: Removing 'Backgrounds and Emblems'

On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 10:51 -0700, Charlie De wrote:
> Andre, if I hadn't read the original post, how could I have replied to it?  The
> post spoke about removing "Backgrounds and Emblems", which I took to mean the
> removal of the so-named command in the Edit menu.

I think Andre was just pointing out that we're removing user specified
emblems, not changing the interface. :)

> It is clear from the discussion that has followed since, that emblems as a
> feature on the whole is being removed.

It's just user-specified emblems that are being removed. Emblems will
still be used for some things.

> I find the idea shocking, particularly
> as there is no clear plan yet what if anything will replace it.

I'm sure that you personally find emblems useful, but there are
usability problems with them. Sometimes you need to clean things up
before you start adding new features.

> I wouldn't mind
> something like labels in Mac OS Finder, but I prefer emblems because of the
> icons in the corner of the file preview. I use emblems as a rating system of
> photos, which I view at 400% in Icon View.  It works superbly and I will truly
> miss the feature when it's gone. In fact, if it isn't replaced by something
> that woks as well, I won't be upgrading and will seriously consider switching
> desktops.

This is a highly non-standard usage! :) Photo ratings isn't
functionality that Nautilus should be providing, IMO.

It sounds like you're using Nautilus like a photo management tool. There
are a couple of good apps for that on GNOME.

> Such is progress I guess...

It is, I'm afraid.

Allan
--