Re: A nautilus script to enqueue folders and files to rhythmbox

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Seemanta Dutta <seemanta gmail com> wrote:
> Hi Nautilus hackers/users,
>
> First of all hats off to all Nautilus hackers. This is such a fine piece of
> software. I have been using Linux for more than 10 years now and more
> particularly Gnome where I find Nautilus extremely well integrated. You guys
> have done a damn fine job of creating/maintaining Nautilus !
>
> I recently wrote a small python plugin to enqueue files or folders
> recursively into the rhythmbox play queue. Please find it here:
> http://seemanta.net/myblog/?p=634. I am not sure if this is the right place
> to post this. If there is a dedicated mailing list for python extensions for
> Nautilus, please let me know.
>
> I am however, facing one issue in my script and need your inputs regarding
> it. Whenever a big folder with several levels of sub-folders and files is
> selected, there is a high latency in Nautilus during which it seems to
> become unresponsive. This is because my plugin is creating a list of files
> that need to be enqueued and this is done recursively. Is there a way to
> overcome this? I agree, that for huge folders, if I right click the delay
> might be acceptable. But I think if I simply select a folder, the python
> plugin should not get invoked.
>
> Any ideas how to make my script run only in case of a right-click and not on
> normal left click selects ?
>
> regards,
> Seemanta

I'm the maintainer for the nautilus-python bindings, and I've been
doing some work recently to allow for asynchronous IO work in the
update_file_info method, which I assume is what you are using for your
IO.  It is still somewhat experimental, but I would appreciate it if
you could clone git master at
http://git.gnome.org/browse/nautilus-python and test your extension
using the new code.  If you do that, let me know whether it alleviates
the problems you're seeing with your extension.  FYI, you should read
the new documentation in examples/documentation.py to see how to use
the new features.

Adam