Re: Bug 332078 - Search button should be a toggle button

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 15:52 +0200, Jango wrote:
> Hello!
>
> According to bug 332078 Nikos tries to convert the search button into
> a toggle-button.
> As wished from the reporter he also implemented a "Go"-Button to
> execute the task.
> But now there are a few decisions to make, which should be well
> discussed:
>
> *) When you untoggle the search button when you removed the search
> location, it now will show your home directory. This is already
> integrated, i think this is a good solution.
>
> *) When changing the location in the criterion bar, clicking onto the
> search toggle shows the folder-content of this new location. Here it
> is questionable, if it should bring you back to the folder, where you
> started the search.

Hmm. Remember that the location entry only exists by default for
non-indexed search engines. It won't appear for e.g. a tracker or beagle
search. So, I don't think having this affect where we go back to makes
sense.

> *) If you clicked the implemented "Go"-button the first time, the
> criterion-bar appears with the reload button. Then the go-button is
> dead and without function.
> Maybe he should do the same thing as the reload button? Clicking on it
> should execute the search again.
> Is it necessary then to have two buttons?
> Should we unite the two buttons into one?
> For example: After pressing Go the first time, the search results
> appear and the button becomes a reload button. The upper half of the
> criterion bar would be unnecessary then, because we can move the "add
> a new criterion"-button into the second line (on the far right) and
> can make the line with the "Search results"-text a lot smaller. This
> would also save screen space on netbooks.
> Picture, how it can look
> like:http://launchpadlibrarian.net/32250950/mocup_search.jpg
>
> I would be great if you had a look at this issue!

I commeted in the bug, but short of it is, I'd prefer an in-entry go
icon (similar to firefox) that is only visibile when the search bar is
"edited". That makes things look nicer and doesn't conflict with reload.