Re: FileInfo method get_string_attribute (Python bindings)

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 21:11 +0100, Nicholas Jeffries wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on a steep learning curve, trying to get my head round Python &
> gtk, so I can write my own Nautilus extension using the Python
> bindings.
>
> There is documentation, of a kind here which is helping me:
>
> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/nautilus-python/trunk/examples/documentation.py?view=markup&pathrev=26
>
> My goal is simple - to get and set a directory's custom icon depending
> on a number of conditions. I assume I need to do this through the
> InfoProvider class.
>
> I can't see any explicit FileInfo method dealing with the custom icon.
> Is it done through (1) a string attribute via
> set/get_string_attribute, or (2) do I need to do it outside the
> Nautilus API through ~/.nautilus/xml files or gio?
>
> If the former, is there a list of the possible "default" attributes
> which can be got (aside from custom ones you can set yourself).
>
> If the latter, what is the best way of detecting which method nautilus
> is using to store custom icon info?

There is really no "standard" way for an extension to set the custom
icon of a file. With recent versions of nautilus (2.28) you can use the
gio metadata to set one, but this will be a persistant metadata change
for the file in question, not just something visible when the plugin is
active.